<span class="highlight">Stone</span> stomper <span class="highlight">stone</span> guard

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 09:04
ThreadID: 80139 Views:6626 Replies:4 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone advise their experience using the Stone stomper stone guard, how effective is it?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Blue Galaxy - Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 09:59

Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 09:59
G'day Willharry7,
I just completed my first trip with the stonestomper. We did the Oodnadatta track last year in our old van and it got a good sand blasting on the draw bar and front of the van (serious rock dints!). On getting our new van, we decided to invest in a system to minimise a repeat. Unfortunately, the Darling River Run is nothing like the Oodnadatta track and so I cannot compare directly (yet). What I can say is that it is easy to install and it does assist with keeping the front of the van clean and definitely saves the draw bar and the gas bottles. Small pebbles end up on top of the guard, but I think that may have been a measurement issue on my part. There is a gap where the chain drops to connect to the vehicle and so there is a small gap where pebbles can get up. I also have checker plate on the front so no real issue. I did travel with beer cartons taped to the back of the vehicle last time and thankfully they saved the windscreen. I had two large dints in the back. At least consider drinking a few cartons of beer before your intended trip.
Hope that helps in some way.
AnswerID: 424357

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce T (SA) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 10:54

Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 10:54
Hi Blue Galaxy,

We have a piece of perspex that has been cut to the size of our rear windows. We tape these on with duct tape and never have to worry about rocks hitting our rear window and causing damage. We bought those little clear stick on plastic knobs to stop the perspex banging on the window. We have had these on our last three 4WDs and as we are about to get a new one we will get one for it. They are worth their weight in gold. Now if we could do the same for front windscreens. We have lost 4 windscreens in the last outback trips. Two of them in the first couple of days out on the blacktop.

Find an industrial perspex company and they will cut to fit.

Cheers,
Bruce and Di
FollowupID: 694794

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 12:00

Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 12:00
As said for your windows Perspex or similar is the way to go. We broke our Perspex one but it saved the window, went off like a gun when the stone hit! We now use the stuff they use for riot shields, much stronger than standard Perspex. Don’t use dust tape to attach it, it will come off and leave a gooey mess on you window and paintwork. We use rubber suction cups, holes are drilled in the plastic at the appropriate places, the head of the suction cup is pushed through with a screwdriver or like(holes need to be only just big enough). We find the cups need to be wetted every few weeks to remain stuck. Just pull it off when finish and hey presto no mess! It is a pretty basic thing but happy to take a pick and post it if you wish.
Cheers Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 694801

Follow Up By: Willharry7 - Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 13:43

Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 13:43
G'day Lyndon, would be interested in a pic if you don't mind and details on where you got the perspex and how you went about having it made
FollowupID: 694808

Follow Up By: Willharry7 - Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 13:46

Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 13:46
Thanks blue galaxy. So all in all you are happy with the stomper and believe if it was a little longer then it would be even more effective. Also were the dints in your beer cartons or vehicle?
FollowupID: 694809

Follow Up By: Blue Galaxy - Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 16:12

Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 16:12
Willharry7,
The stonestomper works very well.The gap where the chain connects from the van to the tug could have been smaller and hence reducing the likelihood of stones popping up. The dints were in the beer cartons!
FollowupID: 694829

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 07:36

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 07:36
Here are the pic's. Question for the folks with that stone guard, how do you access the back of the car multiple time a day should you wish??

Regards LyndonImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found

FollowupID: 694905

Follow Up By: TTTSA - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 11:27

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 11:27
The downfall that I see with the perspex is that it does nothing to protect the paint work on the rear doors of the vehicle. Have been wondering what to do myself. We have 105 standard wagon and T van, and have some damage to the barn doors from stones rebounding off of the front of the T van. Also damage to the front of the T van. Will be looking seriously at a stone stomper.

Regards
FollowupID: 695054

Follow Up By: Willharry7 - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 13:57

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 13:57
Hi TTTSA

I have done a lot of research on this and I have just ordered one. The guy (Christian) from stonestomper is really good to deal with
FollowupID: 695078

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 00:04

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 00:04
Despite spending 90k + on a Troopie I got over the paint work issue, don’t get me wrong I look after it but if you want it to look like it hasn’t been then it’s best to leave it in the drive.

FollowupID: 695650

Reply By: Member - Michael B1 (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 12:06

Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 12:06
Willharry,
We have an adventure camper trailer that comes with a similar ( identical?) setup to the stone stomper. They do gather a few stones on the top and wear if anything is rubbing on then eg wind up handle for the jockey wheel - an octopus strap to hold the handle away from the mesh guard has helped this.
We've just returned from a trip to Alice Springs via the Plenty Highway and had no problems regarding stones hitting the back of the vehicle or the camper. We had some cardboard taped to the rear window but this did not get any marks in it. We did come across a vehicle with the more conventional stone guard mounted on the draw bar and cardboard on the back window that a stone had still managed to smash. Moral - you can take all the precautions you like but occasionally luck runs out.
Regards, Michael
AnswerID: 424370

Reply By: time waster - Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 21:48

Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 21:48
Hi Willharry7,

Some feedback here

http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=7118.30
AnswerID: 424442

Reply By: RoryW-Q - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 13:25

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 13:25
I bought one from him and made a video when he installed it. Look on his web site or do a search on Youtube.

I used it on a 2500km trip to Flinders ranges & Arkaroola and it did thw job. Taking it to the Simpson next week.
AnswerID: 424483

Sponsored Links